Drill Sergeant, Pt. 3

After a short (well, maybe not so short) hiatus, I finally have some time to work on catapult stuff.

drills3

The new chain drive works really well, and the drills don’t seem to mind being bound together (both drills are the same make, voltage and speed so I didn’t anticipate any problems). With just the one drill, the average max. RPS of the arm is 5.7, and with two drills this increased to a nice 7.5 RPS (450 RPM).

I also tried different ratios between the winch drum and the arm, but it didn’t make too much of a difference.

The next task is to improve the sling design- at high speeds the projectile wants to be forced out of the holder. This was a problem at Burlington, with pumpkins falling out prematurely. Once that is done I’ll be able to test the range.

Advertisements